The Corona crisis brings great challenges for the hotel industry, the gastronomy and tourism. Since then, hygiene regulations, accommodation prohibitions, travel warnings and lockdowns have determined the everyday life of hoteliers. But we will overcome this crisis together. Because people are longing for their next holidays and will travel again as soon as the hotels are allowed to open – both for private and business reasons. Nevertheless, caution is required, because the whole world has changed since the COVID-19 pandemic and so has the travel behaviour. Protection against viruses and infections is a top priority! For this reason, contactless, digital services have become extremely strong in the hotel industry and are now more important than ever.
How hotels can prepare best for the restart
For hotels, guesthouses, holiday flats and campsites the reopening after the lockdown is imminent. The signposts about distance keeping and face covering, the frequent disinfection of publicly accessible areas, the guest registration in restaurants and the abandonment of haptic objects have been part of the new normal since spring 2020. But for a long-term concept for the accommodation of guests, you still need a bit more.
Hosts who now digitalise their guest communication, simplify processes and offer contactless services will benefit from their modern service in long term, even after the crisis. This is because digital solutions, such as a Digital Guest Directory, are not only suitable for hygienic “social distancing”. They also enable personal guest care and thus a better guest experience as well as more sales options.
With this checklist, hoteliers are now preparing for the future:
- Simplify the check-in process with a Digital Guest Directory incl. tourist registration form and relieve the reception desk.
- Replace room folders, info brochures, flyers and menus with a Digital Guest Directory.
- Offer chat as a contactless alternative to queuing, calling or going to the reception desk.
- Go for BYOD and disinfect public devices regularly.
- Make additional offers bookable online.
- Establish a concept for cleaning in all areas with as little contact as possible.
- Offer additional room cleaning on request or let guests cancel room cleaning.
- Communicate hygiene measures online and offline.
- Spread news and information via push messages.
- Collect guest feedback on the implementation of the hygiene concept.